Monday, January 2, 2012

A Teacher's Ramblings: What to Do NOW – No Matter How Crazy It's Become


Lesson plans – Pacing Guides – Standards – Expectations! None of these stands a chance in an out-of-control classroom. Every teacher faces this problem, sooner or later. This article summarizes a few ideas that I have come up with based on my experience.



I remember like it was yesterday my first day as a High School teacher. I was hired late, and in the first week of October I faced for the first time a group of classes that had each been subjected to a string of substitute teachers before I arrived. Oh, my! I was, as we all are that first year, painfully inexperienced, and I was walking into a 'war zone.'
It was very few days before I began looking for advice from other teachers. Everyone I asked began with "On the FIRST day of the year you need to…." Gee, thanks! What can I do RIGHT NOW??
Having survived that experience, I believe that I am now in a position to be a bit more helpful than my well-meaning colleagues were able to be when I started. Here are a few things you can actually do now:

1 – DECIDE what you need
Without a doubt the best advice I ever got on teaching came from my supervisor that first year. She said, "This room HAS to be a place where YOU can do your best work. If you can't do your best, none of your students can either." This is irrevocably true.
Each of us has a different kind of place that is our 'best' environment. Visualize that place. Write your classroom rules in positive statements that will, when followed, support you in creating THAT room. Keep them simple. Be prepared to enforce them. EVERY TIME.

2 – TEACH the rules as the next unit
Yes, I really mean that you should create lesson plans for this. Make a handout. Create a coloring page. Have students create collage posters for the walls. Assign a three paragraph essay. Use whatever activities and discussions you think will work. Include quizzes. Make these things count toward grades. This is serious learning, every bit as essential as ABC's or times tables.

3 – STOP right now
I'm thinking of this in two ways. The first is stop NOW and begin to make things different. Don't just survive; TAKE control! SO what if you didn’t do it the first day/week/whatever? Simply define TODAY as the first day.
Meet them at the door tomorrow as they come into the room, and start your 'Rules' unit by PRACTICING the accepted method for entering and preparing for class time. Teach each expected behavior the same way. RE-do it as often as necessary. Remember: teaching includes review and re-teaching OFTEN.
Also, as they inevitably backslide, STOP the lesson. Tell them to settle, and that we will all 'wait'. Proceed to specifically point out the behavior that disrupted the room, and what you expect instead. Only THEN begin to teach again, but softly, deliberately, slowly. Once the students are re-focused, you can begin to move more quickly. I promise, over time even the most difficult class will improve – and you will feel more confident and in control as a result.

4 – REMEMBER #1
Finally, remember that your room has to be your BEST PLACE. Within those four walls you are creating an oasis, your Shangri-La – whatever you envision that to be. The first time I actually achieved this for myself, I was amazed at the change I saw in the way the STUDENTS viewed my classroom. It soon became clear to me that most of them had come to view my room as a sanctuary for THEM, not just for me, from whatever chaos they had to deal with in the outside world. You cannot change the hundred different influences and challenges your students face, but you are the absolute ruler of your small domain. Make it an extension of your personality and it will help you build those all-important relationships with your students that support learning and success.
And it will make it easier to smile EVERY day!


Jo Karabasz
Managing Director
Overlook Tutorial Academy



No comments:

Post a Comment